Night time
About 8:30
So many people in the streets
So many to choose from
Knife in my hands
Long and sharp
Perfect for killing
Feels sweaty in my palm
I swiftly step back into the shadows
A police car drives by
That was close
My knife slipping with more sweat
I glance out
There it is
My victim
A lone pedestrian, even better
A tourist
I lunge
The knife slips
I curse loudly and slink back to the alley-way
And I wait
Wait for another victim
I can’t wait anymore
I must kill
But I take a pill
And a swig of wine
And I sleep
And never wake up
In my mind I know why
Jack killed me
~Vinh Vu~
This is my first attempted at (sort of) slam poetry. It is mainly free-verse but I have incorporated one rhyming line. I base it on the old English legend of Jack the Ripper and place him in the streets of Brooklyn, New York. In the first half of the poem I use more imagery and in the second half it’s more like I’m telling a story. In the last stanza I use the word ‘and’ a lot because I felt that it brings more suspense to the poem.
In the last stanza the pill that he takes is a suicide pill and I use the word ‘and’ a lot because I felt that it brings more suspense to the poem. My last line is a bit confusing because it is his thoughts in third person. He killed himself because he longed to kill someone. (He is a crazy person if you haven’t figured that out).
I got the idea from my poem after reading a random internet page about Jack the Ripper (not Wikipedia) and decided to see how he’d cope in the present day with drugs and alcohol.
4 comments:
Hey Vinh
I really liked how your poem was based on a psycho maniac murderer. You really explored the mind of a killer and added some humour as well.
Good Work!
This was a really cool poem Vinh,
kind of scary though...
It was really good to see you travel into Jack's mind and I liked how you never really new what would happen until the end, this was a great poem.
Funny as well!
Nice job!
btw...why George?
wow vinh-the-pro-serial-killer-dude=P
i liked ur poem, it made me want to go out and kill some people lol - preferably not myself, or jack??
ur reflection was good, you told us what the poem meant in more detail, so it made me want to read it again=)
i like how you said 'Jack killed me' it's really smart and awesome...
great stuff
Post a Comment