My back to the ground,
hands behind my head;
starring up the night sky,
using the grass as a bed.
I stare up to see a black blanket,
filled with minute glowing dots;
I hear the sound of an owl,
and a horse carriage as it trots
why stay inside?
when there is this outside;
its infinite space,
yet nowhere to hide.
My back to my bed,
hands behind my head;
starring up to the ceiling,
"What a dream" I said.
“The Night Sky” is a 4 paragraphed poem and it rhymes – the pattern is as follows: a b c b, (the second and fourth line rhyme but the first and third don’t). The poem talks about someone who’s in a relaxed mood sleeping somewhere quiet, away from the stressful city life – and is observing the night sky and all its wonders, as (s)he studies the sky, (s)he ponders about the emptiness of space, “its infinite space, yet nowhere to hide.” And while (s)he thinks about this, (s)he is still listening to his/her surroundings “I hear the sound of an owl, and a horse carriage as it trots.” Meaning (s)he is hasn’t lost themselves to their mind and that (s)he isn’t in a busy, OR isolated place – but somewhere in between, there is still people out there but quiet enough to hear the sound an owl makes.
The last four lines are relating back to the first four lines, but a change of scenario – the first paragraph opens as a person is lying on the floor looking upwards to the sky, the last paragraphs ends as the same person is lying in the bed looking upwards to their bedroom ceiling. The ending is sort of a cliché, but it fits into the poem. In the third paragraph I mentioned “why stay inside? When there is this outside.”, I talk about how now people aren’t as outgoing and stay inside watching T.V, or playing computer games.
3 comments:
Very Nice use of imagery and other techniques.
I loved the way you got my enganged from the start by saying,
"Using grass as my bed."
You must hae put alot of effort into this.
Good Work Matt.
~Tim
I liked the way you expressed yourself in this poem and how it could also relate to the reader as who hasn't looked up at the night sky and marvel at it? Awesome poem Matt =D
im adding to my previous comment* that your poem now makes me want to go out and look at the night sky and sees the stars, =( i'l just have to wait for another 12 hour and plus your poem has a very good use of imagery how you described the night sky from your point of view and also you mentioned a 'horse carriage' there aren't many left anymore and it brings to mind that you're looking at the sky in the past and that many people have been looking at the sky and probably thinking the same thoughts that you had. The only horse carriages I imagine are the ones in fairy tales made out of pumpkin XD
Post a Comment